- Bike4Life Ride
About the Project
As part of the Accelerated Bridge Program, the Longfellow Bridge will be fully reconstructed starting in 2010. Phase I is an early action contract which will create temporary sidewalks at the approaches to Charles Circle, where there currently are none, as well as performing preliminary structural work. Phase II is the full reconstruction of the bridge and deck, scheduled to start in 2011. The main goal of the reconstruction is to fix the structural deficiencies of the bridge, however it will also result in a safer, more comfortable environment for non-motorized users.
> Go to the official MassDOT Longfellow Bridge Project website.
LivableStreets has been working with MassDOT and other stakeholders to ensure that the final design is truly multi-modal and that during the construction period two-way pedestrian, bicycle, and transit access is maintained. In addition, due to our advocacy along with other advocates including WalkBoston, MassBike, Institute for Human Centered Design, and the Charles River Conservacy, as well as with the support of Rep. Marty Walz and Rep. Will Brownsberger, MassDOT will be installing temporary sidewalks at the approach to Charles Circle while also retaining the current bike lanes on each side. LivableStreets and our coalition continue to advocate for a final bridge design that will give more space to pedestrians, bicyclists, and the Red Line while still accommodating current and projected traffic volumes.
> See our project page about Charles/MGH Longfellow Bridge Pedestrian Access
> Read more about our Better Bridges Campaign
> Read more about the Accelerated Bridge Program
- Longfellow Bridge Striping Proposal - Boston-Bound - October 29, 2006
- Longfellow Bridge Striping Proposal - Cambridge-Bound - October 29, 2006
- Re: Charles/MGH Station and Longfellow Bridge Pedestrian Access - March 21, 2007
- Re: Charles Circle / Longfellow Bridge Conceptual Drawings - April 25, 2007
- Re: Charles/MGH Station and Longfellow Bridge Pedestrian Access Follow-Up - September 11, 2007
- Re: Longfellow Bridge Reconstruction Project ENF Request for Info - April 16, 2009
- Re: Longfellow Bridge Reconstruction Project ENF - May 7, 2009
- Charles Circle Conceptual Ped/Bike Improvements - May 7, 2009
- Key Longfellow Bridge Issues Memo - June 29, 2009
- Long-Term Vision (from coalition of advocates) - February 23, 2010
- Longfellow Walk Handout (from coalition of advocates) - April 10, 2010
- Longfellow Presentation for MassDOT Board (from coalition of advocates) - May 12, 2010
- Additional Correspondences
Attend a LivableStreets presentation
To schedule a presentation in your neighborhood to learn more about this campaign, contact Jackie Douglas at email@example.com
For More Information
For more information about LivableStreets' work around the Charles River Basin, please contact Jackie Douglas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support the Campaign
Become a member today!
To submit comments or request more information, please contact:
Frank A. Tramontozzi, P.E., Chief Engineer
Attn: Michael O’Dowd, Project Manager
MassDOT Highway Division, Accelerated Bridge Program
10 Park Plaza Boston, MA 02116 Tel: 617-973-7800
To view project presentations, reports and other information, please visit the official website at www.mass.gov/mhd/longfellowbridge.
To be added to the project mailing database, please contact:
Stephanie Boundy, Accelerated Bridge Program Public Outreach Coordinator
Tel: (617) 973-8049 Email: email@example.com
|Environmental Assessment||Fall 2010|
|Phase 1 Early Action Contract||2010 - 2011|
|Preliminary Design||June 2005 - December 2009|
|Final Design||January 2010 - January 2011|
|Construction: Request for bids||October 2010 - December 2010|
|Construction||January 2010 - December 2015|
|Periodic stakeholder group and public meetings||September 2005 - 2010|
|Longfellow Bridge Task Force||July 2010 - October 2010|
|Environmental Notification Form||March 16, 2009|
|Section 106 Review (National Historic Preservation Act)||September 2005 - Ongoing|